In 2001, 3dMD demonstrated its first full body scanner at SIGGRAPH, which is the premier annual conference on leading-edge theory and practice of computer graphics and interactive techniques. While our first production 3dMDbody System using our modular approach was delivered to a customer in 2007, 3dMDflex Systems capturing 360-degree body segments have continued to be delivered the past six years.
The 3dMDbody System is a highly flexible configuration that allows for a large number of variations in camera positioning and lenses. A customer can purchase our standard fixed model for the practice or clinic, or the 3dMDbody FLEX8 System, which enables the user to configure and reconfigure the modular units to fulfill a number of different capture tasks and coverage variations with a simple calibration process. The image capture time remains 1.5 milliseconds in line with 3dMD’s simpler face system, yet the 3dMD image generated retains equivalent anatomic accuracy and high resolution texture maps. In certain configurations more than one million polygons are automatically generated raw from the machine. Moreover, with the FLEX package, the 3dMDbody System can be reconfigured as one or more capture devices such as two 3dMDcranial4 systems, multiple 3dMDface Systems, or a 3dMDtorso4 System and a 3dMDcranial4 System. Your options are numerous!
- Coverage: 360-degree capture of body from head to toe
- Capture speed: ~1.5 milliseconds at highest resolution
- Geometry Generation: One continuous point cloud produced from the four or eight stereo camera viewpoints, which eliminates the data errors associated with merging / stitching data sets together
- Option for simultaneous acquisition of geometry and high resolution texture, or geometry only
- Lighting requirements: operates in standard clinic/office lighting conditions